Cosmetic eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is performed on the upper eyelids to correct sagging skin that is either unsightly or impairing vision. It can also be performed on the lower lids to smooth out wrinkles and remove bags. The surgery itself is very straightforward and generally only takes a few hours to complete.
What to Expect After a Blepharoplasty
After your surgery, you will need to ensure you have a way home from the facility, as you will be unable to drive for at least 24 hours post-operation. You will also want to ensure you have taken appropriate time off of work, at least two days, to allow for proper recovery.
Your surgeon may also instruct you to do any or all of the following:
- Use cold compresses on your eyes to reduce swelling
- Use prescription eye drops or ointments
- Gently clean the area around your eyelids
- Use glasses instead of contacts
- Wear sunglasses and sunscreen to protect your eyes when outside
- Do not smoke
- Do not partake in any strenuous activity for 7-10 days
- Do not swim
- Do not rub your eyes
- Keep your head elevated above your torso while sleeping
- Do not use any blood-thinning medications
If you are interested in eyelid surgery to correct sagging skin or improve the appearance of your eyes, contact Cary Plastic Surgery. We offer cosmetic surgery in Durham, NC, and are equipped to perform a variety of different procedures. Call Dr. Hanna today at (919) 233-1933 to schedule an appointment.